Friday, August 29, 2008

Identity

During my exploration of Pico Blvd, the number of businesses that identified themselves not only by name, but also by religious affiliation, language and/or culture struck me. Identity was clearly an integral part of this neighborhood. The first woman I spoke with, Raquel Anaya, told me that she had been in business for fourteen years. Within two minutes of talking to her, she asked if I was Jewish. Upon my positive reply, Raquel proceeded to open up about her personal life, the neighborhood and the years that she and her husband have owned the store, Mostly Angels. It was a spiritual store and clearly spiritual Judaism was an identifying part of her life. So much so, that she posted a sign in her window, telling passersby her business was in no way related to the psychic reading place next door and that they were also not connected to "the fortune teller that sits by our door". 

This declaration of identity was apparent in many of the shops; restaurants and facilities that I walked passed and visited. When talking to Ermium, one of the men who ran BOND (Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny), he made sure to stress that they were a Christian organization. He also made a point to say that the group was originally formed to assist African- American Men only, but that they have since welcomed other Christian men into their Organization.
When I was speaking with another shop owner, I mistakenly confused Arabic with Farsi writing on the front sign and throughout the store. Amir, the Iranian Jewish shop owner, was quick to correct me. With a grimace on his face, he stated that he was Jewish and spoke Farsi, not Arabic. I felt foolish, but grateful because through this experience I learned how to recognize the language. It also taught me that speaking Farsi was part of his identity as a Middle- Eastern, Sephardic Jew.
Upon talking with Therris Spears, who owned Mane Appearance, a beauty parlor which catered mostly to African- American clientele, it seemed clear that many of the
 business owners and residents in this neighborhood were very content to live and work in a cultural melting pot. (Ms. Spears even went on to say how welcoming the community had been when she first opened her salon.) Therefore, although it was evident through various visual cues, that cultural and spiritual identity were an extremely important part of this neighborhood, the residents I spoke with seemed to see their community as sharing a common fate and having an identity of its own, which despite different personal identities, they all were a part of.

No comments: